Back Pain (disc issues, soft tissue trauma, spinal stenosis etc.)
- reduction of pain; prevention of migraine relapse, and prevention of
migraine aggravation. 5
Musculoskeletal Pain (shoulder pain, neck pain, hip pain etc.)
Nerve Impingement (carpal tunnel, sciatica, thoracic outlet etc.)
Mental/Emotional and Neurological Conditions
Addictive behaviors (eating disorders, quitting smoking/drugs/alcohol etc.)
Anxiety and Depression
- reduction of severity of depression symptoms in pregnancy related depression. 3
- reduction of IL-1 beta serum concentrations (IL-1 beta is an inflammatory cytokine associated with
- reduction of PTSD symptoms including depression, anxiety and impairment.10
Withdrawal from psychiatric medications including SSRIs, Benzodiazepines
- reduction of serum markers of inflammation (C-reactive protein and alpha-1-glycoprotein)
- improved quality of life and general well-being
- decreased Crohn's Disease Activity Index score (a research index that quantifies the physical
symptoms of CD).1
- upregulation of the expression of intestinal epithelial tight junction proteins and their mRNAs.18
- reduction of abdominal pain/discomfort
- reduction of intestinal gas and bloating; improved stool consistency. 2
Sugar cravingsRespiratory Conditions
Colds and flus
Post-viral loss of smell
- improved olfactory function. 14
- reduction of pain intensity; improved quality of life. 6, 7
- reduction of hot flashes, and psychological, somatic and urogenital symptoms of menopause. 16
- increased serum estradiol levels and decreased luteinizing hormone levels. 17
- induction of regular ovulation.8
- increased blood flow to ovaries; reduction of ovarian volume and the number of ovarian cysts;
decreased blood glucose and insulin levels; reduction of cortisol levels; assistance with weight loss. 9
Oncology support (reduce nausea and fatigue, strengthen immune system, alleviate side effects etc.)
- reduction of dry mouth. 11
- reduction of hot flashes in women operated for breast cancer and treated with Tamoxifen. 15
- cardioprotective effect in heart-valve replacement patients. 12
- reduction of pain and dysfunction in post-neck dissection oncology patients. 11
- reduction of post-operative nausea and vomiting. 13
There are many more conditions that can be helped by acupuncture; please call (206) 200-3467 or email email@example.com with any questions.
1. Joos S, Brinkhaus B, Maluche C, et al. Acupuncture and moxibustion in the treatment of active Crohn's disease: a randomized controlled study. Digestion. 2004; 69(3):131-9. Epub 2004 Apr 26.
2. Anastasi JK, McMahon DJ, KIM GH. Symptom management for irritable bowel syndrome: a pilot randomized controlled trial of acupuncture/moxibustion. Gastroenterol Nurs. 2009 Jul-Aug;32(4):243-55.
3. Manber R, Schnyer RN, Lyell D, et al. Acupuncture for depression during pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Mar;115(3):511-20.
4. Song C, Halbreich U, Han C, et al. Imbalance between pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines, and between Th1 and Th2 cytokines in depressed patients:the effect of electroacupuncture or fluoxetine treatment. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2009 Sep;42(5):182-8.
5. Li Y, Liang F, Yang X, et al. Acupuncture for treating acute attacks of migraine: a randomized controlled trial. Headache. 2009 Jun;49(6):805-16.
6. Rubi-Klein K, Kucera-Sliutz E, Nissel H, et al. Is acupuncture in addition to conventional medicine effective as pain treatment for endometriosis? A randomized controlled cross-over trial. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2010 Aug 20.
7. Wayne PM, Kerr CE, Schnyer RN, et al. Japanese-style acupuncture for endometriosis-related pelvic pain in adolescents and young women: results of a randomized sham-controlled trial. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2008 Oct;(21)5:247-57.
8. Stener-Victorin E, Waldenstrom U, Tagnfors U, et. al. Effects of electro-acupuncture on anovulation in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2000 Mar;(79)3:180-8.
9. Lim CE, Wong WS. Current evidence of acupuncture on polycystic ovarian syndrome. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2010 Jun;26(6):473-8.
10. Hollifield M, Sinclair-Lian N, Warner TD, et al. Acupuncture for post-traumatic stress disorder: a randomized controlled pilot trial. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2007 Jun;195(6):504-13.
11. Pfister DG, Cassileth BR, Deng GE, et al. Acupuncture for pain and dysfunction after neck dissection: results of a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol. 2010 May 20;28(15):2565-70.
12. Yang L, Yang J, Wang Q, et al. Cardioprotective of electroacupuncture pretreatment on patients undergoing heart valve replacement surgery: a randomized controlled trial. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010 Mar;89(3):781-6.
13. Larson JD, Gutowski KA, Marcus BC, et al. The effect of electroacustimulation on postoperative nausea, vomiting, and pain in outpatient plastic surgery patients: a prospective, randomized, blinded, clinical trial. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010 Mar;125(3):989-94.
14. Vent J, Wang DW, Damm M. Effects of traditional Chinese acupuncture in post-viral olfactory dysfunction. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 Apr;142(4):505-9.
15. Hervik J, Mjaland O. Acupuncture for the treatment of hot flashes in breast cancer patients, a randomized, controlled trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2009 Jul;116(2):311-6.
16. Kim KH, Kang KW, Kim DI, et al. Effects of acupuncture on hot flashes in perimenopausal and postmenopausal women - a multicenter randomized clinical trial. Menopause. 2010 Mar;17(2):228-30.
17. Sunay D, Ozdiken M, Arslan H, et al. The effect of acupuncture on postmenopausal symptoms and reproductive hormones: a sham controlled clinical trial. Acupunct Med. 2011;29:27-31.
18. Shang HX, Wang AQ, Bao CH, et al. Moxibustion combined with acupuncture increase tight junction protein expression in Crohn's disease patients. World J Gastroenterol. 2015 Apr 28;21(16):4986-96.